LGBT Denmark, The Danish national organisation for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, is an NGO working with SOGIESC rights. It is the main Danish interest organisation of the LGBTI+ community and the second oldest LGBT+ organisation in the world, founded in 1948. Since then, it has worked to promote the respect for diverse SOGIESC at all levels (local, national, regional and international).
Our international work has focus with North and East Africa As our future intern you will have the opportunity to help supporting the work of our partner organisations in these regions.
Through close partnerships, LGBT DK aims to contribute to the transformation of societies across Northern and Eastern Africa that are accepting of SOGIESC and ensure equal rights for LGBT+ individuals, as well as reducing minority stress and increasing levels of self acceptance and self efficacy. As an intern in the international work team, will be closely involved with this.
Tasks will involve:
- Research on the LGBT+ situation in countries of the global south
- Support the work of the migration political committee in LGBT DK
- Support the project coordinators with administrative tasks
- Support arranging info work about the international work in Denmark
- Communication of the international projects on the website, Facebook, etc.
- that you are a university student or equivalent
- that you have an interest in development projects and International cooperation
- that you understand the specifics of working with partner organisations
- that you are prepared to work from a norm-critical perspective
- that you think it is fun to coordinate collaboration with several different actors
- that you are not afraid to embark on tasks that may be new to you
- that you can work independently and in collaboration with others
- that you do not hold back if you have ideas or questions for solving the tasks
- You are fluent in English
There is another advantage:
- if you have experience with the LGBT+ area
- if you are familiar to the situation of LGBT+ individuals in the global south
- if you speak Arabic, French, Swahili or
As an intern, you will be given independent and challenging assignments that contribute to the development of the international work in LGBT Denmark. During the internship you will receive guidance and supervision, so that you get a good personal and professional benefit from the internship. We want to make sure that your skills and interests are brought into play as best as possible, which is why we will organize tasks and responsibilities with you. You will be introduced to norm-critical and intersectional working methods focusing on minority identities.
You will work closely with and refer to the two international projects coordinators in LGBT DK, whose responsibilities you will help translate into results. Your workplace will be at the LGBT Denmark Secretariat, in Copenhagen. The secretariat consists of eight employees. You will be part of a secretariat where the mood is high, the tone informal and the work ethics strong.
Terms and recruitment process:
The expected internship period is from February 3, 2020 to June 30, 2020, with a weekly working time of 25-37 hours. There may be evening / weekend work associated with the position. We are flexible in terms of the organization of working time and period, so that it corresponds to any teaching, exam or study job. The internship position is unpaid.
Send an application letter (max 1 page) and CV (max 2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 13th November 2019 at. 10:00. Interviews will be held in Mid November.
For further information, please contact the North Africa project coordinator, Abir Bechwal, email@example.com.
LGBT Denmark encourages everyone qualified to apply for the position regardless of gender, gender expression, age, sexual orientation or ethnicity.